Tuesday, October 2, 2007

All about "Ted Talks"

When visiting, “ Ted Talk”, I first viewed “Stephen Petranek: 10 ways the world could end”. I found this to be very interesting. The ten ways are listed here:
1. A Really Big Asteroid Heads for Earth
2. We Meet a Rouge Black Hole
3. A New Global Epidemic
4. Giant Solar Flares
5. Reversal of the Earths Magnetic Fields
6. Biotech Disaster
7. Particle Accelerator Mishap
8. The Ecosystem Collapses
9. Aliens invade the Earth
10. We lose the will to survive
Stephen goes on to explain how we could solve most of these problem if we start working on them today. At first some of them seem a little far fetched but, after reflecting a bit they do seem to make sense. If nothing else it is an interesting podcast.

The second podcast I watched was “Theo Jansen: The art of creating creatures”. I was surprised at how crude these creatures were yet they still operated in a complex manner. Well, complex considering the object of the project. This podcast is interesting yet very amusing. Since these creatures do not multiply by themselves I’m not sure I agree with some of the statements about a new life form, but again I found it very interesting and amusing.

I guess I kinda got hooked on this site so I had to also visit “Jonathan Harris: The Web’s secret stories”. I found this pretty amazing. The thought of this man putting together a database with this scope and mass amounts of information for no apparent reason besides satisfaction really surprises me. This is just a great project. If after viewing the podcast, or if you just want to skip the podcast and go to the site it can be found at http://universe.daylife.com. I went there and played for about an hour after the podcast. While somewhat a waste of time the site he has put together is amazing to say the least.

Ted Talks is a great site and will now be included on my links of things to do when I have time, or just need a break in general. I would recommend this site to everyone. There is a little bit of everything here and I can’t believe that everyone won’t find something of interest.

1 comment:

Dr. Z said...

Glad to see that you liked Ted Talks.

Ted Talks IS addictive. You can subscribe to them so that you can listen to them on your mp3 player.

It would be useful to include links to the Ted Talks speeches. It would make it easier for me to go right to them to enjoy them.